SEXIEST PERSONS ALIVE

Monday, October 26, 2009

edward swooners, hearken


If you are, or ever were, a fan of Edward, of Twilight fame, and are in need of a fix, pay heed.


Just recently we joined Netflix. ('bout time, right?)





My son quickly put in his picks:


Survivor: Season Two, Disc 1
Survivor: Season Two, Disc 2
Survivor: Season Two, Disc 3
Survivor: Season Two, Disc 4
Survivor: Season Two, Disc 5
Survivor: Season Two, Disc 6

Not a big Survivor fan, I realized I'd better get in queue or throttle my son, one.

Going through the ratings, Netflix generated Mira Nair's film adaptation of Vanity Fair. Reese Witherspoon as the formidable Becky Sharp.



There's nothing I love more in life on screen than classic period films.

Vanity Fair arrived in my mailbox two days later.

Only after it was playing did I realize I had already seen it. Argh. This middle-aged memory loss is a mo-fo. But I enjoyed every minute of it. Watched most of it Friday night. Turned it off midway due to a camping trip next day. Watched the remainder Sunday evening.

Yeah, that's right. A camping trip bookended by Vanity Fair. Life is fucking awesome good.



So fucking awesome good was the movie, this second time around, I didn't want it to end. I closed my bedroom door and indulged in post movie play the director-narrated version. All the way baby through.

And when that wasn't enough, I selected Deleted Scenes.

The Alternate Ending clip delivered quite the unexpected denouement: Master Edward.

And here it is. (I just love youtube, don't you?)

Potential spoiler alert, sort of, if you haven't seen Vanity Fair. This scene reveals previous plot developments.

For the sad lot those of you looking for a quickie, fast forward to 48 seconds; 3:07; 4:27.


18 comments:

Fragrant Liar said...

Well, I hadn't seen this movie, but I did watch the alternate ending anyway because I do love me some Edward and a good period piece. Pattinson has such an interesting face. It's the definition of chiseled.

And now . . . New Moon.

Stacie said...

I haven't seen this and now I must. Funny, I don't even remember it's coming out in theaters. I guess I need to shove my kids out of the queue too!

Sinda said...

I'm not a Twilight fan, but I do have a recommendation for a series you may like - Wives and Daughters. I'm streaming it on Netflix, but you can get the discs, too.

It's a great period piece with lots of my favorite people - Francesca Annis, Keeley Hawes, and Michael Gambon, to name a few.

It's really well done, and with 4-hour long segments, perfect for my schedule.

Sinda said...

Oops - that should have read "four hour-long segments!"

Mental P Mama said...

I am going to have to go get this one. I love me some Edward;) Cougar Mama....

Unknown said...

I use netflix for cool documentaries I would never otherwise see. I learn a lot that way

blogbehave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shrink on the couch said...

Sinda -- Wives and Daughters? I don't think I've seen any of those. Will check them out, thanks for suggesting.

And I'm glad you clarified the length. I was thinking, I like period films a lot but four hours at a time .. well, who am I kidding, I'd happily sit through four hour episodes, plural ; )

Fantastic Forrest said...

Never heard of it, but now I'm dying to see this. It seems odd to see Reese as Pattinson's mother, but they make it believable. I love the ending; now I'm afraid to see the actual ending sans this touching scene.

Logophile said...

I am a die-hard Austen fan, but I'm kind of, just a little, sometimes...picky. In fact, I think Kiera Knightly should probably be executed for the cold-blooded murder of the role of Elizabeth Bennett in that travesty of a movie recently foisted onto the public.
I've avoided Vanity Fair because the idea of Legally Blonde Reese Witherspoon in a period piece? Yeah, probably not good for my blood pressure.
:p
But now I shall have to check some reviews and consider it.
However, I am still not going to read Twilight!

imom said...

I love period movies too and saw this one quite some time ago... I enjoyed seeing the alternative ending!

blue.bubble.blogger said...

I don't like Edward. Hes to full of him self. I liked him better in this movie. And TEAM JACOB!

shrink on the couch said...

Fragrant -- I don't know how well VF did at the box office, but I wonder if Nair kinda-sorta wished she had left in the Edward ending just to cash in on the Twilighters.

Stacie -- I don't remember when it came out, either. It comes with the territory though. Too much parenting, too little weekend newspaper reading.

JCK said...

Gotta love that Netflix. And I WANT to see that movie. Hopefully I haven't already seen it, too... Yep. Middle-aged memory is a MoFO.

Jocelyn said...

Watching the extras DOES pay off! Whoo-hoo!

I actually love Reese Witherspoon more than Edward. She owns me ever since ELECTION.

blognut said...

Sounds like a great movie for a rainy Sunday afternoon at my house. I'm going to order it up!

bernthis said...

I love period pieces. that is because I love European history as well. Did you see the one, i think it's called The Duchess? and the one called, "Elizabeth"? Amazing both of them

Pete said...

Thanks for the suggestion. We don't have Netflix but my local arty dvd store will have it. Reese is brilliant so will happily watch a good movie of hers. Period piece? Bonus.