SEXIEST PERSONS ALIVE

Saturday, April 19, 2008

not disappointed

This evening my simply amazing man, Sam, and I went to see the Rolling Stones Imax movie, Shine a Light. It was excellent. I was transported back nearly three decades (damn, has it been that long?) And sap that I am, had to blink away tears. Sitting in a movie theatre. I don't get out much.

It was what I hoped, though. Seeing them up close from the quality of seats I never could afford when I used to see them for real. The Imax sound system made me feel like I was there. I had to resist clapping. Kept looking around to see if the Imax audience was clapping (they weren't).

They played several of my favorites from the Some Girls album. Just My Imagination: kick ass.
And definately not disappointed in Mick. He is still the cock 'o the walk, same stage prancing. I felt riveted. Kept wanting the camera on him. Wanting to see more. He hasn't lost that animated showmanship.

I thought Keith Richards guitar playing could have been tighter, but my goddess, the man is all but deep wrinkles on a stick and arthritic hands. There's this must see shot of him spitting away his cigarette butt. Worth the ticket price.
Never my idol, Ron Woods was amazing, too. He played the steel guitar
on Faraway Eyes, a treat. Some excellent acoustic guitar work, too. He wins my award for best belt on stage. Man belts: a most important criteria.




Saw some new eye candy, too. Jack White, III doing a duet with Jagger, "Loving Cup."
Gotta find him on youtube.
Even spotted Bruce Willis in the audience. A fellow South Jerseyian taking in the show from the real life good seats.

So all you Stones fans, if you're not up for the crowds and big venues, see them on the big screen. Even if you are up for the crowds, the up closeness of the film and old interview clips are bonus you won't see anywhere else.

6 comments:

Alison said...

Sounds fantastic, I'm intrigued. The perfect venue for me too!

shrink on the couch said...

It takes one of my most favorite artists to tempt me into a big stadium or arena. I saw Dylan a few years ago at a larger setting.

The smaller venues have such high ticket prices. Van Morrison was recently at a hall similar to Beacon Street (where the Stones was filmed), which would have been awesome, but ticket prices were in the $200 range.

HP said...

I used to love big concerts but, these days, I hate the crowds so this would be more my kind of thing. I'd love to see Peter Gabriel do this kind of thing.

shrink on the couch said...

Yes, healthpsych, it's fitting that the Stones are older and catering to their aging audience who don't want to fight crowds and work week concert dates. Or at least I'd like to believe that.

JCK said...

This sounds great! I always wanted to see the Stones in concert.

shrink on the couch said...

Even though I've seen them twice, this was so much better from the standpoint of actually being able to see their faces and hear all the lyrics. So much is lost in stadium seating. And I was never brave enough to venture down to the standing-room-only sections. Besides, I'm not all that tall.

So for me, this movie was, in many ways, better than being there. At this juncture in my life? absolutely.