SEXIEST PERSONS ALIVE

Friday, February 25, 2011

The King's Surprise


I just came from seeing The King's Speech. Really wonderful movie. I made sure my tissues were in hand when the opening credits rolled. Besides some great performances by three of my favorite actors, I enjoyed the happiest of surprises.

Warning. Spoiler alert if you are a BBC-P&P fan.

I knew I'd see Mr. Darcy but who knew Eliza Bennett would appear on the scene? Good thing I was tissue-ready but for an entirely different reason than expected.

Did anyone know about this ahead of time? I had no idea. And glad of it. Such a thrill. There was even an appearance by the awful Mr. Collins.

As for Lowell's introducing the two of them? My hair was standing on end.




Yes, I'm a sentimental sap.


11 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I loved it--but in my heart the best picture nod goes to "Social Network" and best supporting actor to Christian Bale.

Sassy B. said...

I think this is the film that will take the Oscar for Best Picture. Wouldn't be surprised if his yumminess won the Best Actor Oscar too.

I really liked it.

Reluctant Blogger said...

Yeah I liked it too. It was just a nice film.

I haven't seen the Social Network so can't compare.

slow panic said...

I really really need to go to the movies. Want to see Social Network and The Kings Speech.

HP said...

Well spotted P&P moment, CY.

Love the title header of your blog. Of course, it may have been there some time but I'm seeing it for the first time today having been absent from the blogosphere for some time.

Rachel Cotterill said...

I keep meaning to go and see this... really must get around to it!

Anonymous said...

Love the BBC P&P, can't wait to see this one, based on Mr. Darcy alone. Been meaning to see it, nut have also been meaning to do a number of things...

Anonymous said...

It was so good. And I did not expect it to be--the premise seems boring, doesn't it?

Susan said...

I enjoyed the movie, too. It is the only one I have seen so far. I kept trying to think how I knew that actress! You saw it right away.

Fantastic Forrest said...

I caught the P&P link too! Fun!

As a certified Anglophile, I knew I'd love the movie, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. And wasn't Colin Firth's acceptance speech the most charming thing ever? The film perfectly captured the mood of that time. There was a tension and fear in the air, and I found myself on the edge of my seat. It showed the value of a friendship and the help one man can give another, justifying trust, something sadly lacking in The Social Network.

Also, I LOVED that Seidler, the septuagenarian screenwriter of TKS won! Such a lovely man.

Not So Simply Single said...

Very cool...didn't realize that! Thank you for the update!

Lisa

ps LOVED the movie!