SEXIEST PERSONS ALIVE

Friday, October 17, 2008

you and your partner's name - sound the same?


Cognitive Daily asks whether people with similar names are more likely to hook up and enjoy longer relationships. Good question.


Click here to find the link in the post. You will see "click here to participate." Give a few seconds to science and take the survey (you have until October 23rd). It took me about one minute (or less). Easy schmeezy.


It gave me food for thought, too. While my grandparents names aren't similar, I did realize my husband's name is similar to one of my grandfather's, the one I cherished most. I hadn't thought about that before. I wonder if name similarity to a loved one is correlated with longer unions.


The other interesting name thing in my love baggage: I have had three long term (five years or more) relationships. Each of them have similar sounding names. Something along the lines of Dan, Randy, and SAM (current). Which has meant that my parents often mistakenly call my husband by the name of a former boyfriend. Fortunately, he's a very good sport. He doesn't even mind when I accidentally call him Dan during an arguement. Ouch.


Any interesting name similarities in your relationships?


Oh. And if you want to see a really funny, inadvertent, adult-only result of my google search, click here. Irreverent but hilarious ad, it won a Clio. I call it, "because women like a man with a moustache."

12 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I jokingly call my husband and I a brother-sister couple--we look alike, our names start with the same letter and have the same number of letters in our names.

Madge said...

my real name starts with a "j" -- as does my husband's and everyone in his family, and three aunts....

Kellan said...

This is such an interesting idea. My husband and I have been married for 25 years in Nov. and our names are nothing alike. He does have a name similar to the grandfather that I loved so much, though.

Take care - Kellan

laurie said...

that's pretty interesting. for some reason, i got an error message doing the quiz. but it did show me that my grandfathers both had one-syllable names (as does my husband), and my grandmothers had two-syllable names (as do i).

funny.

Anonymous said...

Interesting but I don't think I have any similarities in terms of names with any of my long-term partners. They all have very different names.

I did always joke with Geraldine that we sounded like a pair of transvestites - Geraldine and Georgina.

But none of my other partners had names similar to me or each other or my parents or grandparents. Perhaps that's where I went wrong???

Queers United said...

ill sit this one out as im single :(

shrink on the couch said...

jenn -- I'm always fascinated by couples who look alike, and then by default, their kids all look amazingly alike

madge -- there are a lot of J names out there, but still...

kellan -- your situation is similar to mine

cheri -- it obviously didn't work for her the first three times! here's to better luck on #4

laurie -- so you've found something of a pattern

rb -- G & G ! That's too funny. There IS a similarity there, though .. and she is a partner that had a big impact on you, so I'd say that counts here, er, somewhat : )

queers -- how about your grandparents? I believe the study is more interested in the longevity of the marriage plus the similar sounding names

Vodka Mom said...

My husband is Bob, my dad was Bob, and my brother is Bob. When our son was born, I said "Can we name him Robert?" and my hubby said HELL NO!!!

stephanie said...

Interestingly, Stu & I even have the same initials. But I prefer to look at the meanings of our names - his is 'steward' and mine is 'crowned one;' I think that says it all...

And along the lines of Cheri's cousin, I had a thing for Mikes & Marks in college - none of those encounters lasted long.

GoteeMan said...

Very interesting... the name thing...

ok... so like the H&H Grooming... that's funny... where does one end and the other begin? LOL

J/ (goteeman.blogspot.com)

shrink on the couch said...

vodka mom -- that's funny ! my husb cannot understand naming a son "Jr" .. on a different note, he and all of his siblings have names that start with same letter (four of them) .. wreaks havor on getting names straight when in-law ranting

stephanie -- steward and crowned one, yup, you've got that arguement all wrapped up LOL

goteeman -- you have a personal interest in this question, don't you?

Mental P Mama said...

My husband and my brother share a name--David. I love it.

By the way, that adult ad is too funny.