SEXIEST PERSONS ALIVE

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

what a heat index of 110 looks like

In one particular backyard in Austin.

One flower bed of parched and brown-leafed zinnias.


One evaporated and moldy bird bath.


Three forgotten and forlorn koozies.
AKA huggies, if you are blonde and live in south Jersey.


One empty and discarded beer can.
Too hot to pick it up.

Don't judge.
It's that hot.


And south Austin's official sign of a heat index of 110?


One downed pink flamingo.


Flamingo's have been known to revive when provided a bucket of ice and Corona Light. Or, I'm pretty sure that's what international flamingo expert, Debbie, told us. But only when there's a zesty lime wedge balanced on the rim of a long neck, I think were her exact instructions. Or was that for the revival of a heat-zapped landowner? I can't remember.

I do know one full-proof method for beating the heat:


15 comments:

Jenn @ Youknow...that Blog? said...

More and more, I long for autumn... it's been hotter than hell in Toronto too, and I'm done. Like dinner. Stick a fork in me.

If only I liked beer... it's certainly been known to perk up the wilted in this neck of the woods too, but alas, not for me.

Anonymous said...

I'm dreaming of fall too...crisp morning air, leaves on the ground, children back to school.

I've had enough of the heat, I'm beginning to look like your zinnias.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Do hot sauce and hot weather go together--or is that too overheated a situation?

shrink on the couch said...

Jenn - hot sauce makes you sweat so there's a cooling off as a result. not terribly appealing, huh?

dkuroiwa said...

Oh...how sad. a flamingo down. yes. Corona and lime. (i was going to try and put 'flamingo' together with 'ambulance', but everything i came up with just sounded kind of nasty...so...another time!!)
Speaking of Corona ("nectar of the Gods and Goddesses"), I actually splurged and bought a couple of bottles (about $3 a piece)....but...it was worth it.

and yes...strangely enough...a chili cookoff on a hot day is just what is needed!! More beer!!! ;-)

FYI...today we had a late afternoon shower and, I kid you not, I was steaming when I went outside. uh-huh. i was.

Cool thoughts for all my friends!!
Thanks for nod!! (^-^)
Flamingo expert...that made me laugh!!

shrink on the couch said...

debbie -- that's better price than you'd pay in most restaurants during happy hour, so, when you look at it that way, not bad!

Eidin said...

Wow - that is some Tim Burtonish tomato!

Mental P Mama said...

I say a nice martini works. Just stay away from the laptop.

Susan said...

I am not complaining, I promise...it has been so cool this summer in NorCal that the tomatoes will not ripen. Wierd.

Kathleen Scott said...

And this isn't nearly as bad as it was last year!

I believe the flamingo revival scheme, although I'd make mine Shiner.

Maybe you could bribe the kids to fill the birdbath every day.

Kathleen Scott said...

PS Thank you for the Hot Sauce Festival notice!

PPS This week is the HEB & Central Market Hatch Chili Festival. Go now for your chiligasm.

Rachel Cotterill said...

I think you could do with some rain! I would die in that heat...

Unknown said...

nope, not for me. It's 70 degrees here today and that is awesome!

katydidnot said...

Beer and lime. Yes that would work. Come visit, San Diego hasn't broken 80 degrees all summer. Until yesterday. It better last.

Wendi said...

Our lawn looked fabulous for about 3 weeks and now it looks like Beirut.

I never understood the hot sauce festival. WHY?????