SEXIEST PERSONS ALIVE

Friday, December 09, 2011

a little bit of texas (no football, promise)

Husband and I spent our 20th anniversary in San Antonio.  Some random pictorial highlights:


First things first.  Thanks to Karen for her restaurant suggestion.  Homemade hot sauce with roasted .. peppers or tomatoes, or both... was superb.  Cheese enchiladas... perfecto.  Margarita... excellentay: Sweetly sour, salt around the rim and stout.

A word about the corn tortillas.  When it comes to restaurant tortillas, Sam always orders corn and I order flour.  But here?  When I reached into the tortilla holder, I grabbed the flour tortilla on top.  Halfway into my soft taco Sam noticed I was eating one of his corn tortillas.  Thin and mashed very fine, I didn't taste the difference.





I had an instant feeling of love in the women's room.  Lots of great prints by Mexican artists here and throughout the restaurant.


Sautillo tile floor in the bathroom, plastic slipcover on the couch.


In the ladies room stall.  Way to make a woman feel, well, like a woman.  I want this print in my home bathroom.



Because I've never taken a picture of myself in a mirror. 


Husband Sam used to visit his grandmother in this house, King William District, back before it was gentrified.  It was a four-plex back then.  She lived in the upper right hand side.


I wonder who lives here and has a loved one overseas.


View from E. Guenther St. of the Pioneer flour mill.   Sam could see this tower when he looked out his grandmother's window at night. Used to scare him.



I could look at the King William District architecture all day.  Beautiful front porch made for sipping lemonade. Or margaritas.  



Love the board and batten siding and the standing seam metal roof.  Sam pointed this house out to me, said he thinks someone from New Jersey must live here due to the single candles in each window (my hometown tradition).


Relaxing back in our hotel room.  Yes, that's prickly pear cactus juice in the pink drink.  I'm seldom without my prickly.


Holiday lights on the Riverwalk. Arched footbridge in the center of the trees.


Flags atop the Tower Life Building on the Riverwalk.  They've got their priorities straight.


Love the way the tower is lit up at night.


Flowering Spanish Olive tree beside the Alamo.


Fuzzy olives. Security guard said they sell the olives in the gift shop. Wish I had stopped to get some the next day, but then, you can't have your Alamo olives and eat them too.


View of lights as we sat shivering at Waxy O'Connor's eating fish and chips.


In case the night view wasn't clear enough, that's an Aggie flag atop the Tower Life Building.  Owner is a big alum.  One spring break a few years ago my husband and kids went to the Riverwalk.  We were invited to walk up on that octagon balcony at the top. Very cool views of San Antonio.  Can see for hundreds of miles.


Enjoying Texas Sized margaritas at Rita's on the Riverwalk.  Driver, Sam, ordered his Jersey Sized.   That's my high school friend in red and her daughter who were in town for a wedding.  Tempting picture of the margarita taken by Middle Age Mom, here.

Hope you enjoyed my motley crue photos of San Antonio.  I didn't take too many because it was (1) cold and (2) my anniversary (better things to do).

13 comments:

Coffeypot said...

I was fortunate to spend some time in San Antonio and really liked the River Walk. And good first try with the self photo. Just hate those pesky flash shots.

Anonymous said...

I've never been to Texas, never really want to go except to see San Antonio.

Elliot MacLeod-Michael said...

Happy anniversary and lovely pics. I can only imagine how good the Mexican food must be there. I'm sure it would make my head explode into candy.

Kathleen Scott said...

How much fun--happy anniversary and wishes for many more.

What is the restaurant name?

Mental P Mama said...

How wonderful! And Happy Anniversary!!

Susan said...

Happy Anniversary! I love the pictures, it looks like a lovely city. I had no idea there were flowering olive trees.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

San Antonio and Austin are two places I would like to see in Texas. Houston and Dallas? Not so much!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Congrats on your anniversary!

Anonymous said...

I just tried prickly pear the other week. Wasn't overly keen on the fruit, but perhaps juicing it might be yummier?

Sunny said...

Wow, 20? Happy anniversary!

Love the new look of your blog btw ;)

Glennis said...

I love San Antonio. Love the Riverwalk. One of my favorite theatres in the entire world is the Majestic.

shrink on the couch said...

ADoC -- As for the taste of prickly pear ...I agree with you, it really doesn't have a great taste. It's kind of bland, wildish berry tasting. Not sweeet and not pleasant. That's why I mix with either club soda and cranberry or flavored sparkling water (tangerine is my fave).

Red Shoes said...

Wow... what a great photo of the Alamo! I've always been fascinated by that place!!!

I've been told by a reliable friend that the margaritas at The Menger are great... can you confirm that?

~shoes~