SEXIEST PERSONS ALIVE

Monday, August 26, 2013

nesting, of sorts

For the first time in many years we saw only two kids off to their first day of school.

My oldest is living twenty minutes away from home and due to start his first day of college this week.

For the first time in his life he'll have no send off, no posing for mom's camera.

It's a safe bet he's thrilled about that.

So one way for a mom to cope with an emptying nest, apparently, is to build a pretty, new one out of landscape clippings.  I don't know if the landscape is improved -- I probably looked like Rambo stalking unaware victims in a Thailand jungle, only with pastel garden gloves and garden clippers -- or what I'll attract to my nest but I think I feel a little better.


7 comments:

smalltownme said...

Why do they get so irritated about that one little back to school picture? It's like it causes physical pain.

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

Oh, good luck this year! I bet it'll be good for him... and eventually for you, too.

shrink on the couch said...

I'm sure you are right, Green Girl. I'm looking forward to when it feels good for me. I'll get there. With two teens remaining, we haven't felt the quiet time yet.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

What an exciting time for him! Transitional phases can be hard, but we all seem to adjust eventually.

shrink on the couch said...

Thanks, Jenn. I'm getting there!

Susan said...

My youngest is going into her Junior year of college and I am glad she is less than an hour away. I didn't have a negative reaction to the first two leaving - it was all so exciting and I felt the same with the youngest - but as time goes by I am glad she is close by and willing to indulge me with visits home every few weeks!

Hang in - it does get easier and the other two will fill up your time!

Rainbow Motel said...

When even one kid leaves, the family chemistry is forever altered. I'm feeling ya!