SEXIEST PERSONS ALIVE

Monday, September 17, 2012

yay texas. way to make me proud. again.

More and more, Texas and Kansas are acting like twin sisters separated at birth.

First there was the push for creationist textbooks.  Thankfully cooler heads prevailed and my kids get to read a science book instead of a religious book.

Then there was that pesky law that mandates women seeking an abortion get a sonogram, thanks to federal judges upholding the law.  It's still being litigated but as of today women are forced to have an invasive, medically unnecessary procedure 24 hours in advance.  A logistical problem for both the patient and the medical facility.

But now?  A Beaumont Texas high school student, presumed gay, signed up for a cosmetology class.  The principal-slash-southern-baptist-deacon, Thomas Amons, instructed the cosmetology teacher, Cequada Clark, to inform the boy he wasn't welcome in her class.  Clark refused to deliver the message.  So Amons (not to be confused with Amens) did what any self-aggrandizing principal would do:  He cancelled the class.  Nobody gets to take cosmetology this term.

As for the noble Ms. Clark, what did she get for her courage and conviction?  A pink slip.

Nice.

7 comments:

hokgardner said...

I hadn't heard about this one. I'm embarrassed sometimes that I live here by choice.

Red Shoes said...

I would prefer my children learn the science, and look to theology for guidance.

I am open-minded about things... very tolerant...

As long as one doesn't try to dictate to me, I don't mind what they do/believe/etc...

This country has been rather embarrassing, at times, for a long time now.

~shoes~

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

This is why I haven't ever been to Texas--knowing that people like you live there makes me want to visit someday, but that shit makes me want to stay away.

Susan said...

My husband refuses to even do business with Texas companies...

Someone should show that man the movie Shampoo with a very hetero Warren Beatty sexing up all the women he was styling...what a dick. The deacon, not Warren.

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

Oy. Where's the perspective there?

Lisa Shafer said...

Wow. Texas just goes out of the way to make Utah look... so.. um, tame by comparison. Geez, here they only tried to outlaw sex education (until voters went nuts and the gov got scared of losing votes and vetoed the bill). But I'm pretty sure a guy can still take a cosmetology class here.
I also just love how much of a coward that preacher/principal was; he closed a whole class rather than have the guts to tell the "undesirable" student he couldn't attend. Aren't Texas men supposed to be all "manly" and macho? Fail. Even by Texas standards.

Mental P Mama said...

From a distance, it really does seem like a frightful place. Austin is beautiful, though!