SEXIEST PERSONS ALIVE

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

a victim of mistaken identity


My sister, whom I shall call Robin because my parents almost named her that, lives near my hometown. Robin looks a lot like me. She is also ten years younger.

For about the 21st time in as many years Robin called me today to tell me, yet again, one of my high school classmates approached her and asked if she was me. And of course she informed them that no, she was my younger sister, Robin.

To which my classmates say something to this effect:

Oh! Well that explains it, then! I've seen you lots of times and thought you were her. Huh. And here, all this time, I thought she ignored didn't recognize me!

Even my high school BFF once mistook Robin for me. Robin said my BFF came storming across a parking lot ready to ream me for not letting her know I was in town.

Now, you can imagine (or not if you are a healthy, confident person who doesn't spend hours upon hours ruminating) this dilemma presents a push and pull of two equally polar feelings. On the one hand there might be a crowd of classmates out there who think I look ten years younger. Not a bad impression to have floating around.

But on the other hand, there's more likely potentially a crowd of classmates thinking I am blind ignoring them. And that I am, what? Too good to speak? An asshole?

And of course my mind gets stuck on the latter. Worried that I'm hurting other people's feelings. When I'm not even there. Worried that people think I'm an asshole.

I am, as they say, a victim of mistaken identity.

Nothing can be done about this, right? Or can there? The year is 2012. I can use some of this modern social technology to make an announcement. On my high school's Facebook page:

Hey classmates, Listen up! I've got a younger sister who looks a lot like me. Her name is Robin. If you think you see me at the grocery store and I don't acknowledge you? It is not me ignoring you. It is my sister ignoring you. Because she has no idea who you are. So do me a favor? Go up to me/her and ask. So you'll know what the real deal is. So you won't go around telling people I'm a stuck up asshole!

So what do you think, readers? Too much? Too neurotic?

11 comments:

Lee said...

Interesting situation.

shrink on the couch said...

So Lee, is that a yes? Too much? LOL

Lisa Shafer said...

Heck, I'd do it in your place.
There's a lady who lives in my parents' neighborhood, and I used to babysit her kids years ago. She has a sister who lives not far away. I cannot tell you how many times I've mixed them up. Eventually, I just stopped speaking to either of them in stores/wherever to avoid getting the wrong woman. So now, I'm sure the lady I used to know thinks I'm ignoring her!

Red Shoes said...

That's quite a predicament!

I'm not sure what I would do...

~shoes~

ADoC said...

Too neurotic?

Isn't that an oxy moron?

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I would do it, but I'm not a good judge of neurotic--I think it's just funny enough, though.

Ben Ditty said...

I'd be worried about accidently getting framed for murder by my lookalike but then again I'm a crazy person ;-)

Mental P Mama said...

Spot on. People are so quirky.

Susan said...

Not neurotic - a public service for those feeling snubbed.

Rainbow Motel said...

Not neurotic. I think you should do something just like this. What about Facebook?

Martin Willoughby said...

Nothing wrong with that...it's those who jump to conclusions who have the problem.