SEXIEST PERSONS ALIVE

Thursday, June 28, 2012

vacation ends but celebrating begins


Woke up this morning feeling a little deflated.  The day we leave our beach vacation.  But then, by 9am, cheers of celebration.   Obamacare stands!   With a nod of approval from the Chief Justice, at that.  
 
Was funny - and telling - to see Faux News incorrectly report, ahead of the other stations, that the Supreme Court had overturned the health care law (with a loud, off-camera sigh of relief by T. Blossom, at least that's who I think it was).  And then have to back track and report that the health care law was actually upheld (with some tweaking).  

I hadn't known this until today:  The Supreme Court is there not to merely give an up or down on the constitutionality of the law in question but to find a way to uphold the law by revising.  And that's just what Chief Justice Roberts did.  

What a relief.  When you're both self-employed like my husband and me, and not one, but three family members have pre-existing conditions, maintaining health care insurance is a major expense and an even bigger source of anxiety. Obama's health care law has been a very good provision as far as we are concerned.  No pre-existing exclusions?  Check.  Coverage for dependents until the age of 26?  Check.  

And to all those follyticians (Bush, Perry) spouting off that the answer to affordable health care is medical tort reform? Wrong.  Recent study found that Texas 2007 tort reforms did not reduce health care costs nor did they lead to the influx of doctors to practice medicine here.  A previous study found the same.    

So to my way of thinking, the failure of the promises of tort reform is just another compelling reason to give Obamacare the try it deserves.  

How about you, reader?  How did this morning's decision affect you?  

15 comments:

Karen Jensen said...

I currently have health insurance, but should I ever leave/lose my job, I would have a hard time getting affordable insurance without the help of the Affordable Care Act. Mostly, I think it is a huge step in the right direction! Yay!

Vodka Mom said...

I don't THINK it affects me at the moment, but as we all know- that rascal karma sits waiting for those who are unaware.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

It affects all of us, if not today, then someday.

I had a spirited discussion in class today with someone who opposes it because we won't have as good healthcare as we do now. Ummm, who is "we"?

hokgardner said...

I was driving the kids to schlitterbahn when NPR announced the decision. I may have pumped my fists in the air and yelled, "F*ck yeah" in front of the kids, who looked a little confused.

Red Shoes said...

Politically, I am a moderate... so that put me to the left of GWB, and to the right of Obama.

I think Roberts made the right analysis... but I think questions still stand about it.

If the payments are, indeed taxes, and not penalties, then issues about the legality become viable, in that finance legistlation must originate from the House... and this did start in the Senate.

There are scores of issues that I have with other parts of it, but I am recovering from sinus surgery today, and just don't feel like it.

It will stand, and in years to come, some one will correctly say, 'See, I told you so...'

Where are my pain killers?

~shoes~

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

That decision made me so happy--it gives me renewed hope in the system that America's policies can be "for the people."

Cha Cha said...

I, too, was pumped about the decision. Despite my current coverage, I've always felt like I was one policy shift away from no insurance and complete financial ruin.

andreafrazer said...

This decision and everyone's reaction make me even more aware of how privileged I live in that if it did not pass, I'd still be okay. And that, of course, is not okay. And while I'm passionate about many things, this has not been an issue. And I'm grateful, and now slowly, being more aware of things around me. I care - so much - but I don't dip my toes in these kinds of waters much. Perhaps it's time to change that.

Ben Ditty said...

I feel more secure in my ability to attain health insurance that's there when I need it.

Lisa Golden said...

If the last three years have taught me anything, it's that security as we think we understand it, can be gone in an instant. The Health Care Affordability Act provides some security for those of us with pre-existing conditions, with kids between the ages of 18 and 26, provides for more affordable insurance options if my employer decides to dump coverage or dump me. And those are just a few of the ways it helps.

The thing I find so interesting about the argument around being able to control our health care choices and choose our own insurance is that anyone who has employer-provided insurance isn't actually in control or choosing their insurance. Their employer is.

I have excellent health coverage now, but there's no guarantee that it would last with or without the Supreme Court's decision. As a union member, I may have more say than the average employee over my coverage, but I still have no guarantees.

Red Shoes said...

I'm not that comfortable with what the ACA provides. There are parts of it that we won't know about for a two years.

Supposedly, the Republicans and the Democrats admitted that they were in agreement on 80% of what was in the bill.

I thought that would have been a great opportunity for Obama to have his success in getting health care, and then move on and negotiate the remaining 20%.

For those who have pre-existing conditions, and are just uninsurable, I would like to have seen something along the lines as to how the Fed. Govt. handles flood and earthquake risks.

Lee said...

I'm relieved that it was not thrown out because things are already crazy in DC and that would have been like taking a bat to a wasps nest. But, I'm less than thrilled with this new law. I don't like that it compels American citizens into being mandatory consumers of a private industry that is probably 95% of the factor behind the extremely high cost of health care in this country. Don't really have a lot of faith in regulation of the health insurance industry either. And so it goes.

Susan said...

People need to understand that pre-existing conditions according to insurance companies can be really minor things which will not cost the insurance company lots of money - but they will deny you anyway.

Very few adults make it past 40 without something the insurance companies will consider a pre-existing condition.

Jason, as himself said...

I'm just glad we are getting there, little by little, step by step. I live with this fear that the republicans will step in and undo all of it though!

Anne Flournoy said...

I was surprised by the decision-- thrilled that politics seemed to Maybe (?) have been put aside for a moment and then wondering if maybe Roberts had cleverly pulled off a Trojan Horse in the election year. After reading the (I imagine true?) account of how Roberts came to his decision, am surprised anew and hopeful that somehow democracy might return to this country.