SEXIEST PERSONS ALIVE

Saturday, June 23, 2012

making progress

Went to bed last night with this TV news story on my mind:
And woke up to this story in my paper:


Breaking News: Archbishop's Aide Guilty of Endangerment in Abuse Case


I've worked with victims of child sexual assault most all of my career.  And I've worked on the other side so I could learn the ropes about sex offender therapy, mostly so that I would know their rules when treating a family member.  What I didn't count on but has proved invaluable was learning how the perpetrator mind works, what grooming looks like.  Helps to identify perpetrators before there's an actual outcry.  


When I read the Sandusky victim statements?  Had guilty written all over it.  A prolific groomer of the most dangerous kind, surrounded as he was by trust and awe.   


In any case, these news stories indicate we are making progress, lessening the stigma, laying groundwork for more victims to come forward.   To the eight survivors who stepped up to testify (and to his adopted son who admitted to his own abuse after he heard the victim testimonies), a big thank you on behalf of all of us in the treatment community and every survivor silently cheering.  

10 comments:

hokgardner said...

I honestly started crying when the verdict news came up on my feed.

Red Shoes said...

I'm so shocked when you look at these things like Sandusky or the Catholic Church, and you know they are covered up at the highest level... how terribly sad... :o(

Shrink... what's the possibility that Sandusky was abused when he was a kid? I've read where things like this can propagate these kinds of behaviors...

In no way does my question try to make excuses for his behavior... just curious.

~shoes~

shrink on the couch said...

Red Shoes -- I remember a large study of admitted pedophiles reported that only around 45% of all perpetrators were victims themselves. One factor that plays a role is interrupted or underdeveloped psychosexual and/or social skills. Adolescents who don't fit in and find themselves only able to play with younger kids are an example of an at risk population. We want kids coming into their sexuality with age appropriate peers.

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

What broke my heart the most was that he preyed on the kids with no families--already their lives were tough.

Rainbow Motel said...

I was on vacation when this broke. I couldn't read Sandusky's expression. Was it regret? Sadness? Incomprehension? What was going on there?

slow panic said...

I just heard about his adopted son coming forward. Broke my heart. Not that each case is not horrifying. Progress is being made. I hope this case is giving hope to victims everywhere.

Kathleen Scott said...

And Amen! I hope Sandusky is some drug kingpen's poodle.

So glad you have your hummingbird feeder up! They're here and with the land drying out, your feeder will be important.

Karen Jensen said...

It is good. It is just a bit, but it is good.

Vodka Mom said...

We are all wearing cloaks of devastation here in Not-so-Happy Valley.


For all involved.

Susan said...

I knew what to watch out for with adult predaters, but I wasn't tuned in to the kids and my daughter was molested when she was 6. We all need more education on this.