SEXIEST PERSONS ALIVE

Sunday, March 18, 2012

chick flick alert




Watching instant movies on Netflicks is like playing roulette.  You never know if an unheard of selection is going to be a winner or a loser.  Losers in the awful category can be spotted pretty early.  Fifteen minutes tops?  So no big deal, right?  Hit the stop button and go back to the menu.

But then, my movie viewing indulgences are typically limited to weekends and we all know how weekends blow past like a dandelion seed on a spring breeze.  One moment I'm walking toward it, feeling like I've got all the time in the world and then, puff, it's Sunday night.  Weekend in the rear view mirror.

Those 15 minutes, then, are something of a big deal.

As for the winners, when I find one, I feel like I've hit the jackpot.  Single number.  Straight up.

When Netflicks recommended Broken English with 4-stars I hesitated.  Never heard of it.  Indie film. Those are so hit or miss.  And since my kids rate their movies too?  Even a 4-star rating isn't a sure bet.  My kids like genres such as horror, futuristic sci-fi, and obscure Japanese arthouse.  I go back and undo their ratings bias (one star, hated it) (which I feel slightly bad about, that I'm depriving them of their democratic vote) but again, as we all know, there's not enough time in the day for this hardly very important chore.  In the end, even a four-star recommend carries some risk.

But on this particular night I chose to believe in the luck of the Irish given that it was St. Patrick's day.  So click of the play button.  All bets on the table.

Broken English.  Nora, a 30-something single Manhattanite is wearying of looking for Mr. Good-man.  By the time she meets Mr. Bonne-homme, she feels no trust in her instincts.  Is this love he offers or just another trick?  And as with most chick flicks worth their salt, some of the best best-girlfriend scenes since Sleepless in Seattle reside here.




But I'll make this quick. I loved every minute of this Indie flick.  Jackpot.

Bonus prize - Nora is played by Parker Posey - who's got the whole forlorn, love-bruised, single-too-long vulnerability down pat, complete with a believable rendition of panic disorder (and I should know). Posey, in my opinion, was majorly overlooked by the Academy.  Second bonus, Nora's mother is played by Gina Rowland.  The director is Zoe Cassavetes, daughter of Rowland and John Cassavetes. I wonder why she hasn't done more and I wonder why this movie never made it big.  Or maybe it did and I missed it?

So five stars for Broken English.  Bring on Sunday night.  I'm ready for it.






 








11 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

First chance I have, I'm watching this movie. Parker Posey IS underrated. Didn't you love her in Best of Show?

smalltownme said...

Sounds good. I've been satisfying that Downton Abbey itch by watching lots of British dramas.

Ben Ditty said...

I might give this one a try!

JCK said...

All you had to say was Gena Rowlands and Parker Posey. Love them both! Thanks for the recommendation. Am adding it to my Netflix queue right now. :)

A Daft Scots Lass said...

You have to watch Bridesmaids then.

Jocelyn said...

I needed this tip! I get so frustrated with trying to find something I can stream that doesn't eat up my evening, just trying to find and see if I like. I'd rather drive down to to the Redbox and just check something out, in fact. SO: I am ALL over this movie, next time I have a chance. Thanks, lady!

Green Girl in Wisconsin said...

Noted. And you are right about Parker Posey.

Banjo @ Unfabulousness said...

Ok, added to my Netflix queue! Thanks for letting us know about it!

Susan said...

Oooh. I will add it - our queue is full of manly movies right now.

Mental P Mama said...

Ohhhh. I love all of them! Never heard of this, and am going to watch it soon!

Lori Anderson said...

We've hit some real winners on NetFlix recently -- things I didn't think I'd like at ALL via the description, but ended up loving.